A quick weeknight meal that highlights the subtle flavours of Anise Myrtle. Easily made vegan by using tofu, vegetable stock, and agave nectar.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 500g chicken thighs or extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- Small piece of fresh ginger, peeled, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Pure Ground Anise Myrtle
- ¼ low sodium soy sauce
- Lightly brown chicken or tofu in a pan with coconut oil, set aside.
- Add the stock, Pure Ground Anise Myrtle, ginger, garlic, rice wine, honey, and soy sauce to the pan. Bring ingredients to a boil. If using chicken, put it back and simmer until chicken is cooked. This should take approximately 10 minutes. If using tofu, reduce sauce and move to step 4 once reduced.
- Remove the chicken again. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce.
- Return the cooked chicken or tofu in the pan to glaze in the sauce. Sprinkle with Pure Ground Anise Myrtle to taste and serve with white rice.
Purchase Pure Ground Anise Myrtle from Peppermint Ridge Native Food.